Apple Pie Contest Director
Rules For Apple Pie Contest
September 29, 2022
The Apple Pie Contest will be held Thursday, September 29th at the Barry Firehouse.
There will be a $2 registration fee OR a donation of at least 2 canned fruit or vegetables.
Please have your pies at the firehouse between 11:00 a.m. and 5:30 p.m.
• The contest is open to anyone wishing to bake an APPLE PIE.
• There are four divisions: Kids (6
th Grade and Under); Junior 7th-12th Grade) Adult
(age 18-54); Seniors (55+).
o Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place with a money voucher.
• Only Double Crust Apple Pies will be accepted – no Crumbles, Crisps or Bettys
• Crusts and filling must be made from scratch. No store-bought crust, dough, or
canned fillings may be used. Each pie must have a bottom crust and a top crust.
• No other fruits may be added (added juices are OK).
• Please bake in a disposable pie tin or plate. The return of plates cannot be
• Please do not write your name on the pie tin. Your entry will be assigned a
number at registration.
• Pie MUST be checked in by 5:30 P.M. on contest day.
• The finished pie cannot contain raw/uncooked eggs (white or yokes).
Judging – To be held from 4-6. - Pies will be judged on the following:
• Overall appearance:
o crust and filling color, even distribution of filling, etc.
• Overall flavor:
o fresh taste, texture, doneness, consistency, etc.
o creativity in appearance and flavor
• Each judge assigns a numerical value from 1 to 5 in each criteria category,
without consulting each other.
• The pie receiving highest total numerical value is the winner in that division. In
case of tie, judges will judge those pies again.
• The highest scoring First Prize winning pie, among all divisions, will be Grand
Prize Pie winner.
• In the division of the Grand Prize-winning pie, the Second Place will become the
First, Third Place becomes Second Place, and Fourth Place becomes Third
Prizes will be awarded on stage Thursday evening.
Leftover pies will be available at free will donation after the winners are announced!