Rules For Apple Pie Contest
October 3, 2019
Barry Firehouse beginning at 4 P.M. There will be a $2 registration fee. Please have your pies at the firehouse between 4:00 p.m. and 5:30 p.m.
• The contest is open to anyone wishing to bake an APPLE PIE.
• There are four divisions: Kids (6th Grade and Under); Junior 7th-12th Grade) Adult (age 18-54); Seniors (55+)
Prizes will be awarded for 1st, 2nd & 3rd place with a money voucher.
• Pie must be prepared & baked by the individual submitting the pie entry for judging.
• Only Double Crust Apple Pies will be accepted – no Crumbles, Crisps or Bettys allowed.
• Crusts and filling must be made from scratch. No store-bought crust, dough, or canned fillings may be used. Each pie must have a bottom crust and a top crust.
• No other fruits may be added (added juices are OK)
• Please bake in a disposable pie tin or plate.
>The return of plates cannot be guaranteed.
• Please do not write your name on the pie tin. Your entry will be assigned a number at registration.
• Pie MUST be checked in by 5:30 P.M. on contest day.
• The finished pie cannot contain raw/uncooked eggs (white or yokes).
Judging – To be held from 4-6. - Pies will be judged on the following.
• Overall appearance:
crust and filling color, even distribution of filling, etc.
• Overall flavor: a fresh taste, texture, doneness, consistency, etc.
• Originality: creativity in appearance and flavor
• Each judge assigns a numerical value from 1 to 5 in each criteria category, without consulting each other.
• The pie receiving highest total numerical value is the winner in that division. In case of a tie, judges will judge those pies again.
• Each First Prize winning pie will be judged again, and judges will decide which pie from these is the Grand Prize Pie.
• In the division of the Grand Prize winning pie, the Second Place will become the First, Third Place becomes Second Place, and Fourth Place becomes Third Place.The overall winner will receive a money voucher, an apron and a rolling pin.
Prizes will be awarded on stage Thursday evening and pictures will be taken of the winners by "The Paper”.
Leftover pies will be available at free will donation after the winners are announced!